Concealer can leave you looking flaky
As we age, our skin becomes more and more dry. This is mainly because of hormonal changes and a decrease in oil production. Since the skin under the eyes is naturally thinner, it’s the first area of the face to be get dry and wrinkly (*sigh*).
To make things worse, when we apply concealer the dry flaky skin and fine lines can become even more obvious.
How to cover dark circles and get a flawless under eye:
- Always prime the under the eyes with a hydrating serum. This ensures the area is plump and moist, without adding greasy oils. Try: Consonant’s HydrExtreme
- Apply a natural, alcohol-free foundation as a base to help prime and even-out the skin tone. (Many foundations and concealers contain alcohol which will dry out the skin even more!) Try: Sappho’s Essential Foundation (I use ‘Leisha’)
- Using a brush (or your fingers!) apply a small amount of colour corrector on the darkest areas. Try: Fitglow’s Eye Bright
- Starting at the inner corner, apply a creamy concealer in an upside down triangle shape under your eye (don’t apply a full sweep of colour under your whole eye area, this will make you look like a racoon!) Use your finger to gently pat it in. Avoid smearing it around. Try: Alima Pure’s Cream Concealer (I use ‘Pearl’).
- Finish off by applying a little bit of concealer on your eye lid to even out the skin tone.