Avocado oil is the new “Moroccan Oil”
Put your argan oil away and use avocado oil instead! I’m deeming it as the new “Moroccan Oil”.
I recently had the chance to sit down with Lovacado founder, Claudia Murillo whose family has been using avocado as a beauty ingredient for generations. It was this family tradition and Claudia’s first hand experience that inspired Lovacado, a Canadian-based beauty company that specializes in avocado oil.
After our chat, and some further research, I discovered that vitamin E, plant sterols, and monounsaturated fatty acids are the magic that make avocado oil an amazing remedy for damaged hair and dry skin.
Avocado oil is amazing for:
- strengthening dry brittle hair
- taming frizzy hair and smoothing spilt ends
- cleansing and moisturizing the skin
- moisturizing cuticles
- preventing stretchmarks
Just like any oil, you have to use a fresh, good quality product. Lovacado sources their extra virgin cold-pressed oil from a farm in Mexico. Avocado oil should be a greenish/yellow colour (not brown!) and have a very faint odour. The scent actually grew on me the more I used it. It’s almost like a nutty-fruity smell.
In case you don’t love the natural scent, Lovacado offers three different scents using pure essential oils: sweet orange, lavender, and lemon.
My Experience with Avocado Oil
I obviously had to try the oil after hearing all about it. My hair is straight, uncoloured, and fairly fine so I rarely use hair masks or oils. For the sake of this review though, I tried it!
I was surprised at how easily the oil absorbed into my hair. After leaving it in for 30 minutes and washing it with shampoo and conditioner, my hair felt super soft and moisturized. I can see how this would do wonders for dry and brittle hair!
I also slathered it all over my body. My, oh, my did my skin feel soft and wonderful afterwards! A lot of oils leave your skin feeling a greasy, but the avocado oil absorbs really, really well! It feels very emollient, almost like a moisturizer rather than an oil.
Try this hot oil hair treatment!
- Heat 1-2 Tbs of avocado oil by adding the oil to a mason jar and placing it in hot water for a few minutes –make sure to test the temperature before using!
- Apply oil all over dry hair. Spend some time massaging it into ends and scalp.
- Wrap hair in a towel and let sit for 30 minutes. (If you have access to a sauna or steam room, now would be a great time to use it!)
- Wash with shampoo and conditioner as usual