Spring is here!. It’s time to slough off the dead winter mask and show the world that glorious skin!
A few weeks ago I visited Julie Clark of Province Apothecary for the most rejuvenating facial. . . I mean seriously amazing (more about that in a later post). One thing that I love about Julie’s skincare philosophy is that she always recommends putting food on your face– you can’t get more natural that that!
She recommended using papaya as a face mask for both it’s exfoliating and healing properties. Papaya is extremely rich in vitamin C; 1 cup contains about 1.5 times the daily recommended daily intake! When applied topically, vitamin C has been proven to repair damaged skin cells caused by the sun or aging. It also contains an enzyme called papain that assists with the breakdown of proteins–in this case it will help remove dead skin cells and impurities on the surface of your skin. Additionally, papaya contains alpha-hydroxy acid which is a naturally occurring acid found in many fruits and acts as a gentle peel –leaving the skin smoother and clearer.
That is certainly a lot of goodness in one piece of fruit!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1-2 inch cube of fresh papaya
- 1-2 Tsp of raw honey (or 1-2 tsp of yogurt- lactic acid provides added exfoliation and zinc helps heal blemishes)
- 1 Tbs of ground oatmeal (extra exfoliation, and good for sensitive skin)
- Mix about 1 inch cube of papaya with 1 tsp on raw honey.
- Mash it up until it is all one consistency.
- Apply to clean skin and let sit for 10-20 mins.
- Rinse off and follow up with your usual moisturizer or oil.
Oh, and don’t forget to eat the rest! It’s delicious!
– Seanna xx