Congrats to the winner of the Joyous Health giveaway (you have been emailed 😉 )! I am so overjoyed (no pun intended) and thankful for all of your responses! You have truly impressed me with your daily healthy habits and have even inspired me to try some new things! Much Love, xx
I have a very special post for you this week and it involves someone whose work I have admired for quite some time: Toronto-based Holistic Nutritionist, Joy McCarthy. Joy has just launched her new book called, Joyous Health: Eat & Live Well without Dieting and I am so excited to share it with you!
I usually write about all sorts of products and concoctions for beautiful, radiant skin, but I would be lying if I said that you can get beautiful skin without a good diet. No number of lotions and potions will aid your skin if you are putting junk into your body.
Joy’s Eat & Live Well without Dieting lifestyle is a fantastic one, and is truly sustainable (I ranted about my need for sustainable systems last week!). It will teach you how to think about food in a whole new light (diet free!). The seven chapter book is divided into two sections: practical tips for a healthy lifestyle, and recipes. The first half is a very thorough, yet easy- to- read background on what a ‘Joyous’ lifestyle encompasses, covering topics such as food & supplements for mood, getting your digestion on track, and habits to live a healthy & balanced life. The second half offers eighty recipes that you can start incorporating into your daily routine.
The book is designed for a six week lifestyle makeover; working through each chapter and making at least one positive change a week.
“Your skin completely renews itself every twenty-eight days. Therefore, food is literally the raw materials from which we create new cells.”
Joyous habits that I have adopted making me glow from the inside out:
- Drinking lemon & water every morning: One half of freshly squeezed lemon in warm water first thing in the morning is extremely detoxifying and will get your digestive system going.
- Increasing my veggie intake by 1000% 🙂 (or by a lot): I aim to have at least two meals per day with half of my plate full of vegetable so that I get a great dose of minerals and vitamins, as well as keep my blood sugar balanced.
- Eating more superfoods: There is a reason everyone is talking about these. Superfoods are jam packed with nutrients, so why not incorporate them into our daily diets? I love adding spirulina, maca, chia, kale, or raw cacao into my daily smoothies. Joy puts it in a good way; why take a multivitamin, when you can just drink one instead?
“A healthy glow is a result of a detoxified body.”
I have tried a number of recipes from Joy’s book, but one of my favorites is the Chewy Almond Butter Cookies. Sugar has always been my kryptonite (as I am sure it is for many), but it also wreaks havoc on the body and as a result, the skin! These cookies are perfect for the afternoon slump when you find yourself reaching for that chocolate bar.
Joy’s book is currently available in Canada at stores and online, and will be available in the U.S. soon (currently available for pre-order). I wanted to spread the joyous love and share a copy with one lucky reader! Just follow the instructions below for your chance to win this inspiring book!
In the comment section below, answer the following question: “What healthy habits have you incorporated into your daily routine to make your skin glow?”
- Contest closes February 10, 2014, one winner will be chosen at random on February 11th.
- All Canadian and U.S. residents eligible to enter.
Make sure to share this post on Twitter and Facebook to get everyone inspired to eat well and live well!